Planning & Zoning

The Planning Commission develops, periodically updates and manages the City’s Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Regulations with the assistance of the City Attorney and Zoning Administrator.  Emphasis is placed on growth and development of the City in an orderly fashion, while considering changing or emerging trends within the City.  The Planning Commission holds its regular monthly meetings on the third Monday of each month at 5:30 p.m.  The meetings are held in the Council Chambers of City Hall, 861 E. 5th Avenue.

The current Planning Commissioners are

  • Mark Donohoo, Chairman
  • Daron Sills, Vice Chairma
  • Ben Capps
  • Brad Warning
  • Gary Traylor
  • Kathy Poague
  • Shelley Brien

Click here to download a high-resolution PDF of the Zoning map.

The Board of Adjustment is a quasi-judicial board that holds public hearings on requests by those seeking a Conditional Use or a Variance. Public Hearings must be advertised in accordance with KRS 424. Therefore to meet the public notice requirements, applications for Conditional Use and Variance must be received no later than the first Tuesday of the month. The Board also consider an appeal of a decision by the Zoning Administrator.  The Board of Adjustment is made up of citizen members.  It has the power to issue subpoenas. Decisions by the Board are final.  Appeals of a Board decision are made to the Circuit Court.

The Board of Adjustment holds regular monthly meetings on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 5:30 p.m. or by special call. Meetings are held in the Council Chambers of City Hall, 861 E. 5th Avenue.  The current Board members are

  • Daron Sills, Chairman
  • Andy Lyles
  • Gary Traylor
  • Willie Kerns
  • Jim Gregory


Zoning Administration

The City Administrator functions as the Zoning Administrator.  The Zoning Administrator’s office oversees compliance with the Calvert City Zoning Ordinance and the City’s Subdivision Regulations.  Those planning to build a new structure, add to an existing structure or wishing to change the use of a building or property should consult with the City Administrator to see if an application for Zoning compliance, a Conditional Use or a Variance is required.  Applications for Zoning Compliance, Conditional Use and Variance may be downloaded by clicking the link.  A checklist list for requirements for a minor plat subdivision is also available by clicking on the link.  The City Administrator’s office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.