the late summer of 1950, a house being built in a new sub-division
caught fire in the middle of the night and burned to the ground.
Calvert City had no fire protection of any kind. At the next
Lions Club meeting, it was voted to buy a fire truck. One of
the Lions' members was a Chevrolet salesman and he offered a 1
1/2ton, 1951 Chevrolet Classic at cost. The truck was brought
and sent to Central Fire Equipment Company in St. Louis, Missouri.
Fitted with a 500 GPM pump, a 300 gallon tank, and other basic
equipment, the truck was transformed into a fire truck and was
delivered on March 10, 1951. The Lions Club selected Ed
Rendlemen to be the Fire Chief. He held this position for 44
years before turning it over to a younger man. The new Chief,
Fred Ross took over January 1, 1996 and remains Fire Chief to this
From 1951 to 1967 there was only one other fire department in the
county, and their service was confined to the City of Benton.
Consequently, Calvert City Fire Department answered calls all over
the county. Eventually, Calvert City became incorporated and
the Department reverted to answering calls only within the city
limits. Calvert City purchased their second truck in 1967 - a
commercial Ford with a 750 GPM pump and 500 gallons of water. Since that time, the Department has had a number of vehicles and is
currently equipped with five pumpers, a van , a specialty equipment
pickup and, our newest, Ladder One, a KME 75 foot, multi-purpose
The Department has an active roster of 20 persons and meets the last
two Mondays in the month and the staff meets every first Monday.